What do patients from their doctors ?
They want doctors to be:
It seems to be a long list !What do doctors want from patients ?
- Understanding ( when things don’t go well)
- Forgiveness ( when they make errors)
- Payment ( on time, for their hard work)
The list is equally long !
Perhaps this is the reason why there is so much tension between doctors and patients today - because they expect too much from each other !
Actually, we can simplify matters considerably
Doctors and patients want and need only one thing from each other – Trust
Patients want doctors whom they can trust. They should be able to trust that their doctor will
- Give them the correct medical advise;
- Be technically competent;
- Not do unnecessary tests or surgery;
- Not overcharge them;
- Not hide the truth from them;
- Refer them to a specialist, if needed;
- Be there to held their hand in their time of need
Similarly, doctors want patients who trust them. They want patients who
- Appreciate them for the hard work and effort they put in
- Follow their advise
- Pay their bills on time
- Do not try to second guess them
- Respect them
The missing ingredient in today’s healthcare system is trust. Patients don’t trust doctors; doctors don’t trust their patients; customers don’t trust health insurers; and no one trusts the healthcare services the government provides !
How can we bring this trust back ?
The good news is that most people still look up to doctors. They are highly regarded - which is why so many people want their children to become doctors !
The answer is simple – and easy. We need Information Therapy . The right information for the right person at the right time is powerful medicine, and encourages openness and transparency !