Perils, Pitfalls, and Possibilities in Talking About Medical Risk : " Virtually every course of medical action is associated with some adverse risk to the patient. Discussing these risks with patients is a fundamental duty of physicians both to fulfill a role as trusted adviser and to promote the ethical principle of autonomy. Discussing medical risk is a difficult task to accomplish appropriately."
This article is a great guide for doctors, to help them discuss the risks of medical treatment with their patients.
He discusses the 5 key dimensions of risk.
1. What Are the Unwanted Outcomes ( risks) ?
2. How Permanent Is the Unwanted Outcome? ( risk) ?
3. When Will the Unwanted Outcome Occur?
4. How Likely Is the Unwanted Outcome?
5. How Much Does the Unwanted Outcome Matter to the Patient?